All carports must be permitted. No carport shall be permitted within the minimum required front yard setback or projected front yard of a residential dwellings except by variance granted by the Board of Adjustments.
For information on setbacks and metal carports, please contact the Building Department.
To obtain a permit you must submit:
- A completed permit application and applicable fee
- A site plan
- A drawing/plans of the structure to be installed/built
In reviewing a request for a carport within the minimum required front yard setback, the Board of Adjustments shall consider the following:
- Presence and/or absence of a garage on the residential lot, parcel or tract
- The viability of access to the side and rear yard
- The size, height, and design of the carport and its impact on adjacent properties
- The incidence of other carports on the block.
A permit is required for the construction of a carport.
Setback requirements are enforced.
A homeowner can do any work on their property, providing it is homesteaded. Will need to complete Homeowner Affidavit with permit application.
Carports built in the backyard do not require approval from the Board of Adjustment but a permit must still be obtained prior to construction.
IF YOU ARE UNSURE WHETHER THE WORK YOU ARE GOING TO DO REQUIRES A PERMIT, PLEASE CONTACT THE BUILDING INSPECTOR.