THE CITY OF ANDREWS
PAPER, CARDBOARD AND ALUMINUM
TYPE I AND TYPE II PLASTICS
Information Brochures are available at the Center and City Hall to help educate the citizens of our community of all of the recycling, reusing and reducing possibilities.
Thanks to the help of the City Council and the Andrews High School's CMPS students, Class 2011, this recycling venture has been made possible.
What Are Our Goals?
- Raise awareness of our need to recycle and to make a positive impact on our environment.
- Help our community save money by reducing the amount of trash going to our landfills.
- Grow our recycling program to include centers for collecting other recyclables.
- Beautify our community and make residents proud to call Andrews their home.
How Does It Work?
- The City of Andrews has placed white dumpsters designated for paper recycling at each school campus.
- Each classroom is encouraged to place a recycling bin somewhere in their room.
- When it is full, the classroom bin can be emptied into the recycle dumpster either by a student, the teacher or the custodial staff.
The City's sanitation truck will empty the dumpsters when they are full and will compact the paper before transporting it to a recycling facility where it will be baled for shipping to a processing plant.
At the processing plant, the paper is chopped up to separate the fibers from each other before it is put through several mechanical and chemical treatments to wash out the inks and other contaminants. The soupy mixture is called slurry and is about 97% water.
How the paper is sorted for processing (office paper, newspaper, magazines, mixed paper) determines the products the paper will become.
For more information on Recycling and Keep America Beautiful, please visit their website.
Director of Community Services