Structural changes such as cutting away any wall or portion thereof, removal or cutting of any structural beam or load-bearing support, removal or change of any required means of egress (doors or windows) requires a permit.
Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets and countertops or similar finish work does not require a permit.
A homeowner is allowed to do any work on their home; provided, they live in it and it is homesteaded.
A site plan showing the property indicating all existing and proposed structures and improvements is required before a permit can be issued.
Our office will attempt to expedite plan review in a timely manner; however, review time is dependent upon work volume and varies accordingly. Most plan reviews can be completed in one (1) week.
- Comply with the light, ventilation and heating requirements
- Comply with emergency escape and rescue requirements
- Smoke alarms are required in/outside each sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedroom. New smoke alarms shall be interconnected with existing smoke alarms and primary power shall come from the building wiring with battery backup.
- Natural light and ventilation requirements for existing rooms cannot be reduced below minimum code requirements.
- Existing required bedroom emergency escape and rescue windows must be maintained or replaced.
- Room additions with open spans in excess of 24 feet require sealed plans.
432-523-4820 or 432-266-8904