navleft navleft
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

This is a collection of commonly asked questions and their answers. If you don't find an answer here or would like additional information, please feel free to call Municipal Court at (432) 524-2791 or City Hall at (432) 523-4820, Ext. 238


How much is my ticket?

Fines and court costs vary depending on the type of violation. Contact the Court no sooner than the 3rd day at (432) 524-2791 or City Hall at (432) 523-4820, Ext. 238 for correct amounts.


When do I have to pay?

Arrangements or payments must be made by the 10th day after the date of the violation. Juveniles (those 16 and younger) and alcohol related offenses involving a minor require an appearance in open court to enter a plea. Any request for an extension past the 10th day must be approved by the Judge.


Will my ticket affect my driving record?

Yes, if the charge is a moving violation. The Department of Public Safety adds two points per moving violation conviction.


Is the Municipal Court closed during lunch?

Yes. Office is closed from 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.


How do I tell if my ticket is under the jurisdiction of Municipal Court?

On your ticket, it will say "IN THE CITY OF ANDREWS MUNICIPAL COURT-ANDREWS TEXAS" at the top, on the front of your citation.


How can I check to see if I have any tickets/citations at Municipal Court?

If there is any doubt as to whether or not you have an outstanding citation, please call the Court at (432) 524-2791 or City Hall at (432) 523-4820, ext. 238.

What will happen if I Fail to Answer Summons for Jury Duty?

Failure to Answer Summons and Penalties:

Persons who fail to comply with a Summons is subject to Contempt of Court and punishable by a fine not to exceed $100 (Code of Criminal Procedure, Article 45.026 and Government Code, Section 21.002).  In addition, a person shall be fined a sum of not less than $10 nor more than $100 if a person: (1) fails to appear without reasonable excuse; or (2) files a false claim of exemption from jury service (Code of Criminal Procedure, Article 45.027).
Official Juror Questionnaire

Proper Clothing Required:

Persons should be dressed in clothing reasonably befitting the dignity and solemnity of the Court proceedings.


Where can I get information on an arrest warrant?

Please contact the Court Clerk at (432) 524-2791 or City Hall at (432) 523-4820, Ext. 238 for City related warants. You may also call Justice Court at (432) 524-1412 if you think it is a County warrant.


I missed my court date.  What are my options?

You have the following options available:  1) Pay the fine in person or by credit card; 2) appear in person and request extended time to pay; 3) hire an attorney


Can you tell me the date and time of my Court setting?

Andrews Municipal Court has an open docket which means most cases are seen in the order of appearance. If you have received a citation, you must appear within 3 - 10 days from the date of the violation. If you have been summoned to Court, you must appear on the date and time indicated on the Summons.


I have a court date today.  Can I come in and pay my ticket before my court appearance?

Yes.  You will need to see the Court Clerk.


My deadline has passed to complete, return certificate, or obtain driver's record from the Department of Public Safety for the Driver Safety Course.  What do I need to do?

Pay the fine or ask the Judge to grant you an extension.


What is the difference between "Guilty" and "No Contest"?

If a defendant pleads "no contest" to the charges, that judgement cannot be used against the person if a civil suit is filed later.  It is not an admission of guilt.


I received a letter from the Department of Public Safety regarding the suspension of my driver's license.  How can I get this corrected?

You will need to contact the local DPS office for further information or the person who sent you the letter.

What is the Driver Responsibility Program (DRP)
Authorizes the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) to assess surcharges to an individual based on certain traffic offenses that have occurred on or after September 1, 2003. Surcharges are in addition to other fees and do not replace a suspension, revocation, denial, disqualification or cancellation resulting from the same conviction.

The program was developed to encourage safe driving habits. These surcharges are assessed in two ways:  a point system, and conviction based.

Points are assessed for Texas or out-of-state moving violation convictions: two (2) points for a conviction and three (3) points for a conviction that resulted in a crash. Individuals are assessed a point surcharge annually if they have six (6) or more points on their driving record. For each consecutive 12 month period that an individual does not receive any points for a moving violation, one (1) point is deducted from the individual's total points.

A Conviction based surcharge is a result of being convicted of any of the following:  Driving While Intoxicated, No Driver License, Driving While License Invalid, and No Insurance. A conviction based surcharge will be assessed annually for three (3) years from the date of conviction.  Individuals have the options of paying all three (3) years at once.

DPS offers programs that may reduce or waive surcharges. For more inforamtion about DRP, along with details on available surcharge discounts and other surcharge assistance programs, please visit