You may request to have your citation dismissed by completing a Drivers Safety Course approved by the Texas Education Agency (TEA).
Upon successful completion of the Drivers Safety Course, payment of fees, and complying with all terms, your citation will be dismissed and there will be no conviction entered.
To be eligible for Defensive Driving, the following requirements must be met:
- Must not have completed Defensive Driving Course to dismiss a citation within the last 12 months or be in the process of taking the course for another traffic violation.
- A speeding violation must not exceed 24 MPH over the posted speed limit.
- Must be at least 16 years old.
- Must possess a valid Texas driver's license or military ID (that is not classified as a commercial drivers license CDL)
- Must present current personal proof of liability insurance in your name or listing your name as a covered driver.
- Submit request within 10 calendar days from the date the citation was issued. Requests submitted after the 10th day may require judicial approval.
- Violation did not occur in a construction zone with workers present.
- Violation did not occur while passing a school bus.
If you meet the above requirements, you may request to take a Driver Safety Course, by certified mail or in person, before the 10th calendar day from the date of the citation.
Request for Drivers Safety Course by mail will not be accepted for:
- 24 miles or more over the posted speed limit
- Offenses by defendant who holds a Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
- Passing a school bus
- Any traffic violation that occurred in a construction zone with workers present
- Any juvenile case (must appear in person with parent or legal guardian)
- Class C misdemeanor of assault, theft, or reckless damage offenses
- Out of State Driver's License
- Out of State Driver's Safety Course
If requesting by MAIL, please submit the following documents:
- Plea of "guilty" or "no contest" on the reverse side of your citation
- Written request for Driver Safety Course via Certified Mail, return receipt requested, postmarked on or before the 10th day from the date the citation was issued. Request must be notarized. A sample letter is provided for your convenience.
- A copy of your valid Texas driver's license
- A copy of your proof of current personal liability insurance or valid evidence of financial responsibility
DO NOT send any money when making your request for the Driver Safety Course. Once it has been approved, you will be sent a notice from the Municipal Court with specific instruction on how to proceed and how much to pay.
Once you receive approval to take Defensive Driving, you must go online and request a copy of your driving record at www.texasonline.com. You will need to get the certified copy, option 3A. You have 90 days to submit the information provided by the State to the Court.
If requesting in PERSON, please be prepared to present the following documents and cost:
- Your plea of "guilty" or "no contest"
- Your valid Texas driver's license
- Your proof of current personal liability insurance or valid evidence of financial responsibility
- Court costs
You will have 90 days to succesfully complete an approved driving safety course: either online, by video found at libraries, or attending an approved class.
If the driving safety course is completed within 90 days, the misdemeanor charge will be dismissed and the Court will report to the Department of Public Safety the completion of the course for inclusion on your driving record.
Items to submit back to the Court:
- Certificate of Completion (you MUST submit the "Court Copy"). It must be signed to be valid.
- Certified copy of your driving record
If you fail to complete the course and do not provide evidence of completion with 120 days, the Court will require you to appear in Court for a Show Cause Hearing. If you do not appear for the hearing, the Court will impose the fine and may issue a warrant for your arrest.
Special Note: You should not take the course or request your driving record until you have received approval from Municipal Court.